Tuesday, March 30, 2010

About me

Do you remember this boy?



For anyone who was alive in the '80s, this is likely an image you will never forget. 

Here's something you may not know about me.  I am a true crime buff and have been ever since I was about 10 years old playing hide and seek (more like hide and "they won't seek") and found a book under my aunt's bed where I was hiding. 
I have been hooked ever since. 

I am a licensed court reporter by trade and have been licensed since 1999.  I only practiced one year, but spent ten years doing captioning for the deaf and hearing impaired at University level.  My proudest professional work was captioning for one student in particular for nearly five years, including captioning her oral qualifying examination, and since then, she has held a Ph.D. in Immunology from the University of California Davis. 

Stenography, while not my passion, is something I am very good at.  I "retired" four years ago to stay at home with our girls and work on getting pregnant again.  ;-)  I still keep my CSR license current.  A smart move, in my opinion, in the current economy. 

If I had it to do over again, I would mix my two passions:  Photography and forensics.

But alas, I am a housewife with a perspective all her own. 

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/recurring-nightmare-did-jeffrey-dahmer-kill-adam-walsh/19419628

The recurring question:  Did Jeffery Dahmer murder Adam Walsh?  He was in Florida at the time Adam disappeared from the mall.  He had "access" to a van that resembles the one apparently used in Adam's abduction? 

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.  This is not to say that I am even convinced that this man...


Ottis Toole...

...did the unthinkable to that beautiful little boy. I think he would confess to downing the Twin Towers if given the chance.  I do think; however, that he is more likely a suspect than Jeffrey Dahmer, a man who murdered and mutilated (mostly) mature, gay men.  Keeping them around him in an effort to ease his loneliness.  Dismembering a little boy and disposing of his body is not Dahmer's MO. 

As much as human nature yearns for closure in situations that make us uncomfortable, stretching possibilities, while sometimes fruitful, often ends in false closure.  And honestly, I'm not even certain that's a bad thing sometimes. 

The tragic loss of Adam has turned John Walsh into a warrior.  And even though he looks like The Hoff in this picture...




he, too, is a face that brings our thoughts back to his little boy, and all John has done in his memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment